...is located on the island of Starčevo on Skadar Lake. It dates from the period of Đurđe Balšić. It was founded in 1377 by Father Makarije, who lived as an ascetic on the island, so it was called Starčevo (The Old Man’s Monastery) after him.
The monastery complex consists of the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God, an accommodation building, supporting structures and a surrounding wall with a gate and several underpinned terraces. The monastery was a centre of literacy, where many manuscripts were rewritten and many books were bound and decorated. The crypt of the printer Božidar Vuković from Podgorica is located in this monastery. After the reconstruction of a part of the accommodation building and after making it fit for dwelling, Starčevo has become an inhabited and active monastery.